Get a 10% discount when you book directly through Hudson. Use voucher code 10%OFF at the checkout to redeem your discount.
Hudson have partnered with the Online Business School (OBS) to bring you this fully accredited Diploma course. The Online Business School delivers online university pathway programmes with full Undergraduate and Postgraduate Diploma Awards to learners from all corners of the world. Learners can fast track their way through to a UK University Qualification on campus or by distance learning. With a 24/7 student networking platform, personal dashboards, 1-2-1 online tutorials, group webinars and bank of pre-recorded group webcasts, the Online Business School provides students with all the support that they need to succeed in developing their professional skill base and achieve a university qualification .
Watch this video to learn more about OBS and how their online Diploma courses work
About this Diploma
If you have the desire to turn your passion for computers into a career, The IT and Computing Diploma offered by Online Business School is definitely a course you should consider.
Our online Level 4/5 IT and Computing Diploma course is a 240-credit course, it includes 10 modules and written assignments at each level. The course is designed to equip you with the skills you need to Top Up to a full Undergraduate Degree and go on to become an IT professional. While completing the course, students will have access to a variety of support services, including Tutor Support and Webinars, a Social Learning Forum, and additional materials to help in the completion of their Diploma course.
Level 4 Curriculum:
- Introduction to Computing: This module will explore the functions of computing systems and the basics of design, configuration and routine maintenance.
- Introduction to Programming: This module examines the basis of OOS and how programming fits into the broader aspects of usage of applications.
- Introduction to Databases: This module will enable understanding of database design and development and enable students to develop and design a database and explore solutions to meet client brief . Learners will learn how to design a database.
- Requirements Engineering: This module is concerned with the analysis of IT and computing needs to develop requirement specifications and develop and test prototypes.
- Systems Analysis and Design: This module provides an understanding of IS concepts and how they relate to organisation needs in respect of business processes and transformation of information.
- E- Commerce Applications: This module explores the role of eCommerce in the modern world and in particular the identification of aims and objectives within a business and the design issues arising from the definition of requirements.
- Human Computer Interaction: This module will develop students understanding of principles and models of Human Computer Interaction and evaluate existing HCI design and principles and use this to help them plan their own prototype multimedia user interface.
- IT and Society: This module examines the impact of technology on society and explores trends and changes created. It will examine management issues and potential conflicts in terms of security and data management.
- Information Systems Project Management: This module explores elements of project management key to successful development and implementation of specific IT projects.
Level 5 curriculum:
- Management Information Systems: This module focusses on understanding concepts of information systems and how they support business needs in terms of information processing and data processing.
- Innovative Technologies in Computing: This module looks at innovative trends and disruptive advances taking place and examines the new generation of skills and knowledge that will be required to work successfully in the sector.
- Computing Research Methods: This module will explore the knowledge and skills required to undertake research in this field and the qualitative and quantitative approaches required including use of literature and design of research proposals.
- Software Development Methodologies: This module looks at the role of systems engineering in development of software and various models of data, software and processes using modelling approaches.
- Computing Project Planning: Creating and managing projects has changed over the years with the development of sophisticated IT Software, this Module focuses on how being a project manager in the 80’s differs to being a project manager in today’s world.
- Strategic Management Information Systems: This module is concerned with developing an understanding of the strategic role of MIS within the organisation and how it impacts on the broader objectives and strategy of the business.
- Ethical, Legal and Professional Issues in IT: This module explores current issues in the IT sector and how these may impact on areas of security, confidentiality, privacy and the law.
- Network Design and Management: This module explores the principles of networks and network design and implementation and support of network systems.
- Web Based Development: This module will explore the design, deployment and management of virtualisation and explore its commercial and potential impact.
- Cyber Security: This module will enable an understanding of the importance of digital security to business, to understand industry standards of digital security and be able to recommend improvements in security.
How long is the course?
- Advanced Databases: This module focuses on understanding database design and development includes advanced languages to analyse and query database data. Students will research database management and critically test and evaluate databases.
Each course module will take you around 30-40 hours to complete. There are 20 course modules in total. Expected study time is around 600-800 hours. This is a self-paced course which you will complete in your own time. You will have a maximum of 5 years to complete the course.
The ATHE Level 4/5 IT and Computing Course is made up of 10 modules and 10 written assignments at each level. On completion of the modules, students will be given access to the assignments. The assignments are approximately 3000-5000 words each. Students are provided support on the modules and assignments via the ‘Tutor’ section of the learning platform.
The Assignment unit titles for the level 4 course are:
1. Management Information systems
2. IT and Society
3. Computer Systems and Software
4. Computer Programming
5. Relational Database Systems
6. Software Engineering
7. Systems Analysis and Design
8. E-commerce Applications
9. Human Computer Interactions
10. Information Systems Theory
The Assignment unit titles for the level 5 course are:
1. Cyber Security
2. Ethical, Legal and Regulatory Issues and Professional Responsibilities in IT
3. Network Design
4. Web Based Development
5. Database Design And Development
6. Innovative Technologies in Computing
7. Computer Research Methods
8. Managing a Computing Project
9. Software Development Methodologies
10. Strategic Management Information systems
If you decide to top up to a full Undergraduate Degree through an accredited UK university, the costs are as follows. Please note, the below costs are for distance learning/online only.
You have the option of finishing on campus, Costs will vary depending on which university you wish to complete your final year.
- University of Derby: Top up Final Year BA (Hons) Computing – £4400
Am I eligible to do this course?
- Middlesex University: BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems (final year); Or BSc (Hons) Information Technology & Business Information Systems (top up)
To enrol onto the Level 4 course, you must be at least 18 and have a full secondary education. Before enroling on to the Level 5 course, you must complete the Level 4 or equivalent.
What support is available during my course?
The Social Learning Forum is free to use for all students, and can be accessed from all over the world, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The forum has been developed to encourage creation of self-managed learning groups and to encourage individuals to lead in particular areas of learning. Tutors may interact socially with students to enhance learning through the social forum.
Students will be able to share their ideas and solutions, and also any resources they have uncovered that can assist their fellow students. Individuals can request assistance from their peers on specific issues and act as the catalyst for discussions and analysis. It is important that students participate and draw lessons from fellow students around the world to enhance their online learning experience.
Each module has its own forum with topics covering many areas. Students will also have the ability to control topics in the general areas through a secure network, with all posts closely monitored by OBS administrators.
The Social Learning will also include Open Webinars. These webinars will be in areas of general interest or demand for grouped learning, providing interaction between students and teachers.
Additional Study Resources
OBS realises sometimes you may need additional support for your online Course. Individual tutoring may be required to fast track your Study, or perhaps you just need some additional support. To further enhance learning, Online Business School gives learners the chance to purchase tutor support in a variety of formats.
Tutor support can be purchased in the following forms:
- One to One Coaching through online tutorials. Students can purchase tutorials on a one to one basis through a live webinar or telephone support.
- Live interactive webinars – students can enter a live webinar with other students in a virtual classroom.
- Recorded webcasts – Students can purchase pre-recorded webcasts to enhance their learning.
Online Business School operates to the highest academic standards and has multiple structures in place that ensure the standard of education provided to its students it of the highest quality.
All learning materials are designed and written by professional academic authors so that each interactive module is aligned against specific learning criteria specified by OFQUAL, the defining UK Government body for Academic Standards in UK Higher Education. These standards ensure those that learn with us receive a high quality education along with certification that is recognised universally by Universities and employers.
Your final assignments will pull together all the learning and experience gained from your course. The entire programme is accredited by ATHE, a UK Government recognised examining and awarding body who are successful partners with many leading universities.
On completion of the final assignments, students are awarded a formal recognised ATHE qualification which is accepted by a range of UK universities as partial exemption from various Degree and MBA programmes.
Partner University Qualifications
On completion of the final assignments, students are awarded a recognised Diploma qualification. This Diploma can be used to top up to a full undergraduate degree or MBA at a variety of UK universities, either on campus or by distance learning.
Quality Monitoring Board
Online Business School also operates a Quality Monitoring Board (QMB) to ensure that we are always delivering accredited online courses and resources to meet your learning needs. This Board meets regularly to assess:
- Specific student issues
- Any quality issues for university partners
- Monitoring of assessment standards
- Monitoring of material content against learning outcomes
- Specific operational issues as they affect quality and customer service
The Board Members include respected academic and business leaders. Outcomes of the reviews are shared online to ensure transparency and understanding amongst our partners and students. All feedback is welcomed so that issues can be formally raised via the QMB in a professional and objective manner.
Bonus Course Material
As part of this Diploma course, you will also get access to a free ITIL® Foundation online course worth £195, which is delivered by Hudson. Click here to find out how much people in the UK are earning with an ITIL® certification. This course can be taken online in your own time. You will have a maximum of 12 months in which to complete it.
Taken in conjunction with your Diploma course, the ITIL® certification can give you a significant advantage over other candidates in the professional sector.