Paralegal Distance Learning Course - Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma Levels
This Paralegal Distance Learning Course is a comprehensive programme that delivers a thorough understanding of the legal industry as well as the practical skills necessary to succeed in a modern legal environment.
The flexible, modular programme is certified at three levels: Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma. This gives students the opportunity to choose how far they would like to take their learning, as well as the flexibility to study at their own pace. The skills gained will allow them to launch an exciting career in a private practice law firm or in-house legal department working across a range of different areas of law, such as Private Law, Contract Law, Labour Law and Criminal Law.
The average time within which students complete studies is:
- Certificate Level - 14 weeks,
- Diploma Level - 24 weeks,
- Advanced Diploma Level - 31 weeks.
The maximum time given to complete a programme is three years.
Suitability - Who should attend?
This Paralegal Course is suitable for those seeking to enter the legal profession, as well as experienced paralegals and legal secretaries who wish to improve their skills and upgrade their credentials.
Choose from 3 course levels
This distance learning course leads to the awarding of either a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma depending on which level you enrol at, the course content and the type of assessment:
- Certificate Level: Suitable for basic entry level positions this level represents a basic level of operational knowledge with general knowledge.
- Diploma Level: Suitable for those with personal responsibility and autonomy (semi-independence) in performing technical operations or organising others in the workplace.
- Advanced Diploma: Suitable for those expect to be involved in significant judgements, planning, and leadership/guidance functions related to workplace products, services, operations or procedures.
Pre-requisites: There are NO previous work or education requirements for entry into any course level. Delegates may enrol directly into the diploma or advanced diploma levels without completing lower ranked qualifications. Graduates can expect higher course levels to result in higher potential salary, positions and skill capabilities.
Outcome / Qualification etc.
This ICI distance learning course is recognised and accredited by the International Association of Private Career Colleges (IAPCC).
On successful completion of the course you will receive:
- A graduation certificate officially recognising your successful completion of studies and qualifications as a paralegal specialist
- Transcripts indicating units completed
- Letter of recommendation and validation for current and future employers
- Post-nominal letters placed after your name which indicate that you hold the relevant qualification. For example: John Smith, DipPL
- Job search assistance: Graduate Career Services Programme
Training Course Content
The course covers the following topics:
Legal Process and Procedure
Apply knowledge of the legal system to complete tasks
- roles and responsibilities of the courts, tribunals and commissions
- the names of the main courts and tribunals in the legal system and what they do
- the titles, roles and responsibilities of people in the legal industry
- the various areas of law
- the range of legal services offered by legal firms
- the range of legal documentation and how to use it
- how to apply for certificates
- how to act when in a court/tribunal
Legal Documents & Background Checks
Carry out search of the public record
- know a range of sources such as electoral rolls, credit files, motor vehicle registration, rate searches, Consumer Affairs records, databases etc.
- know where to locate sources such as government departments, statutory bodies, Titles Office, Securities Commission, Court library etc.
- how to plan a search
- how to work to timelines such as court deadlines, client needs, case issues
- how to conduct the search including lodging a request, paying costs
- completing the search including filing expenses, checking information, delivering the information and recording time
Apply the principles of confidentiality and security within the legal environment
- the various codes of conduct including duty of care, ethical behaviour, conflict of interest, privacy, maintaining confidentiality etc.
- types of non-disclosable information such as names, addresses, witness statements, financial information, whereabouts of clients etc.
- security and confidentiality procedures
Handle receipt and despatch of information
- how to process court documents, original documents and served documents
- how to distribute urgent and confidential documents
- procedures for collecting, sorting, recording outgoing mail
- delivery methods
- bulk mailing procedures
- how to organise urgent deliveries
Use legal terminology in order to carry out tasks
- an understanding of legal terminology and when to use it appropriately
- abbreviations for commonly used legal terms
- extend learning of legal terminology
Assist in prioritising and planning activities in a legal practice
- how to work to file-related deadlines
- make and record appointments
- diary organisation
- how to meet deadlines
- follow up meeting outcomes
Work effectively in a business environment
- the rights and responsibilities of employees and employers
- occupational health and safety procedures
- equal opportunity policies e.g. discrimination issues, reporting procedures, how to resolve disputes
- workplace terms and conditions
- issues relating to change in the workplace
- working in a legal office
- personal work goals
- careers in legal administration
Produce business documents
- selecting appropriate software
- identifying document requirements
- designing and enhancing document formats
- producing documents
Contribute to effective workplace relationships
- collecting information from appropriate source
- developing trust and confidence
- building and maintaining networks and relationships
- managing difficulties
Maintain records for time and disbursements in a legal practice
- time sheet records
- how to deal with irregularities and/or uncertainties
- recording disbursements
- record keeping of documentation
Legal Process and Procedure
- delivery procedures for court documents
- court filing fees
- drafting and lodging court documents
The cost of this course epends on the level chosen, and prices are as follows:
- Certificate £498
- Diploma £798
- Advanced Diploma £998
All materials essential for course completion are included in the cost of the course fee. Upon enrolment, students receive:
- All required study materials and course notes
- Practical assignment projects with constructive tutor feedback
- Industry based tutor who will service all of your course and career questions and guidance needs
Be Inspired! Watch the Video
Learn more about the benefits of training online with ICI. Watch the video, get inspired, make the right career choice!
Provider: International Career Institute
Read more and show all courses with Provider: International Career Institute
Start your new career today with ICI's Distance Learning & Home Study courses
ICI, the International Career Institute, provides career development online courses for individuals and businesses, helping professionals across all industries to build and improve their skills and career performance. You can study at home, in your own time, at your own pace....
Request information - obligation free
Find a course for you!
Read the course
summary on this page
Fill in your details and Request information
Receive all the info you need
Find out more & get a FREE call back about this Paralegal Course course - simply fill out your details: